As Ramadan begins for practising Muslims, most people will fast from dawn to sunset without water or food.
To help get through the month of Ramadan, some quotes about fasting are shared below, courtesy of Brainy Quote.
1. “A fast is not a hunger strike. Fasting submits to God’s commands. A hunger strike makes God submit to our demands.” –Edwin Louis Cole
2. “Fasting is, first and foremost, an exercise for identifying and managing adversity in all its forms. With faith, in full conscience, fasting calls women and men to an extra degree of self-awareness.” –Tariq Ramadan
3. “Periodic fasting can help clear up the mind and strengthen the body and the spirit.” –Ezra Taft Benson
4. “Through prayer, fasting, and studying, God will answer.” –Monica Johnson
5. “We must master our egoism, and through this mastery, step outside ourselves and educate ourselves in giving. Fasting requires that we rediscover all that is alive around us, and reconcile ourselves with our environment.” –Tariq Ramadan
6. “Start the practice of self-control with some penance; begin with fasting.” –Mahavira
7. “The philosophy of fasting calls upon us to know ourselves, to master ourselves, and to discipline ourselves the better to free ourselves. To fast is to identify our dependencies, and free ourselves from them.” –Tariq Ramadan
8. “Having soon discovered to be great, I must appear so, and therefore studiously avoided mixing in society, and wrapped myself in mystery, devoting my time to fasting and prayer.” –Nat Turner
9. “Instead of looking outside of ourselves and counting potential enemies, fasting summons us to turn our glance inward, and to take the measure of our greatest challenge: the self, the ego, in our own eyes and as others see us.” –Tariq Ramadan
10. “We observe that in the scriptures, fasting almost always is linked with prayer. Without prayer, fasting is not complete fasting; it’s simply going hungry.” –Joseph B. Wirthlin
11. “Fasting is a shield with which a servant protects himself from the fire.” – Ahmad, Saheeh
12. “Ramadhan is here, Here is Ramadhan. Ramadhan is coming, The time that is blessed. Ramadhan is coming, The time we love best. The month in which the Qur’an was sent; A time of great blessing in which to repent. Fasting for Allah is a great Muslim deed; Controlling desires and Suppressing greed.” – Zeeshan G
REMEMBER, SMS Media would wish to keep you strong in faith as you honour this holy month. Subscribe to the keyword ‘Ramadhan’ or ‘Hadith’ to receive daily inspiration sulli that will keep you closer to Allah.
So, go to the ‘Message’ section of your mobile phone, type SUB, leave a space, then type HADITH or RAMADHAN and send the message to 8198. You will then receive a daily inspirational update that will surely keep you strong and going during this special month.